Raise your hand if you’re a sucker for Orange anything? I absolutely am. Not only is it my favorite color, tasting orange always makes me feel awake and alive. It stands to reason, then, that these Orange Dream Wontons are to-die-for. They are super easy, and only have 5 ingredients. They are light, fluffy, and versatile. If you prefer lemon, or mint, or any flavoring that’s not orange, please feel free to experiment and make this the dessert of your dreams.
This recipe makes about 50 wontons.
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese 113 g
- 4 oz. Mascarpone Cheese 113 g
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (Icing/Confectioner's) 80 g
- 2 tsp. Orange Flavor 10 ml
- 1 package Wonton Skins
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil 119 ml
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water for egg wash (scramble together)
In a food processor (or mixer) combine cream cheese, mascarpone, powdered sugar, and orange flavoring, mixing well.
Lay some wonton wrappers out on a silicone baking mat or non-stick surface.
Place about 2 tsp. filling in the center of each wonton skin.
Rub egg wash on 2 edges that are touching.
Fold in half diagonally, and press lightly to seal.
Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a skillet to 350 °F (180 °C), or use a deep fat fryer if you have one.
When oil is hot, place a few wontons in the oil using tongs.
Allow to brown slightly before flipping and browning slightly. This usually takes less than 3 minutes.
Remove from hot oil, and lay on paper towels to drain.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- You can use any flavor you want, just start with 1 tsp. (5 ml) and go up from there. Some flavors are exceptionally strong.
- Grate orange zest into the cheese mixture for a little pop of color and fresh.
- You can use egg roll skins. Increase amount inside to a tablespoon or two.
I was going to enter a version of this in a baking contest, but the rules stated explicitly that you couldn’t be a food blogger to enter. Anyone know where all of our contests are? I would love to enter a few. Let me know in the comments.
Don’t forget to pin this for later!