I started watching Worst Cooks in America in its first season in 2010, and was instantly smitten. I’m not much of a reality show watcher, except when it comes to cooking competitions. I adore Chopped, The Great British Baking Show, Beat Bobby Flay, Guy’s Grocery Games, and others. In case you’ve never seen Worst Cooks in America, the concept is pretty simple. Contestants begin by competing to prove who is the worst cook that season, and then are put into teams headed up by celebrity chefs, and put through a pretty rigorous boot camp where they learn basic cooking techniques, like knife skills and how to season a dish. Each week, someone from each team is eliminated. The show ends with two recruits, one from each team, making a three-course meal for food critics, and the winner walks away with $25,000.
This is the celebrity edition, only in its 3rd season, and the hosts are Anne Burrell and Rachel Ray. Anne is a staple
on the show, but the other chef is a wildcard. Rachel has co-hosted the celebrity edition since its first season. Other chefs have included Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, Robert Irvine, and began with Beau MacMillan. It’s an intense show, and it’s really difficult to figure out who to root for in the first few episodes.
This season, they’re having some pretty spectacular stars, and it all begins on Wednesday, August 23. I can’t wait. There are so many celebrities that I enjoy who can’t cook. I’m actually pretty surprised, though I probably shouldn’t be. Let’s check them out (in alphabetical order).
- Nora Dunn – Nora is a super-talented actress, and I enjoy the characters she plays, and especially liked her in Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce. She can also be seen popping into many other shows. She’s my #2 pick to win.
- Carmen Electra – Carmen has been everywhere, especially on Prince’s stage – where her career really took off. I love that about her. Plus, she’s about my age, so I’ll be rooting for her for sure.
- Erik Estrada – PONCH! Yep, he’s the hottie from the original CHiPs series, and he’s still pretty easy to look at. He’s a handyman around the house, so I’m told, but who knew he couldn’t cook. I mean, he can’t even barbecue? I wonder if that’s true.
- Vivica A. Fox – This woman proves that all women can do anything. You may have seen her in Independence Day, but if not, she’s made a name for her self alongside some pretty big names, and starred with Uma in Kill Bill, Vols. 1 & 2. Let’s see if she can conquer the kitchen.
- Perez Hilton – This guy. Honestly, he’s really great at what he does, and was one of the first people to be influential on social media. For that, I admire him. I just don’t like gossip queens much. I wonder if he can put that aside and rise to the top.
- Carson Kressly – I didn’t know who Carson was, until I watched Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (which was a freaking amazing show, btw). Turns out, he’s worked as a stylist for years, and he loves horses. Show horses. World champion show horses. Go Carson! He’s my #1 pick to win.
- Sean Lowe – I still have no idea who Sean is, except that I’m told he was a Bachelor, and has appeared in a pile of other reality shows. He’s a reality lifer. Let’s see how he fares on this reality show, shall we?
- Melissa Peterman – I love watching reruns of Reba, and that’s where you’ll find Melissa Peterman – better known as Barbara Jean – as the dippy second wife of Reba’s ex. She was also in Fargo, and apparently a few other shows I’ve never seen. She didn’t cook much on Reba that I can remember, but then who actually cooks dinner in TV Land? Go get ’em, Barbara Jean…er…Melissa!
I really hope that Carson and Nora are on different teams, and get to compete against one another in the final. I will be tweeting along during the broadcasts every week. You can follow me on Twitter @terra_walker using #worstcooks. Pop over and follow me, and let’s tweet together!